Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Title: Section 47-1.2 - Eligibility for an award

Effective Date


47-1.2 Eligibility for an award.

(a) To be eligible for a State Health Service Corps award, an individual must:

(1) show evidence of enrollment or acceptance for full-time study in a professional study program in an institution approved by the Board of Regents. The Commissioner of Health may permit individuals who are not enrolled or who have not been accepted for enrollment to apply for an award, but an award will not be made until the individual provides evidence of acceptance into an institution approved by the Department of Health pursuant to standards established in this Title, or the Board of Regents. The Commissioner of Health may permit individuals who submit satisfactory medical statements substantiating a serious illness or disability that precludes full-time attendance to attend part-time;

(2) be pursuing a program of continuous undergraduate or graduate education in a health care profession as defined in section 47.1(a) of this Part;

(3) be within 24 months of completing the program of study and being eligible to apply for licensure, registration or certification in the profession of study;

(4) be a United States citizen or resident alien who is holding a valid I-551 card or a valid I-151 card issued by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service;

(5) meet the character and moral standards required for licensure under section 6524, subsection 7 of the State Education Law; and

(6) complete, sign and file an application using prescribed forms which must be filed within specified time frames. All required supplementary documents must be filed as directed. Incomplete, illegible or vague applications may be rejected. Applications filed after the deadlines specified may be rejected.

(b) An individual may be determined to be ineligible to receive a State Health Service Corps scholarship or fellowship award if:

(1) the individual is already receiving any other scholarship or fellowship award that requires the fulfillment of a service obligation;

(2) the individual is employed by the State of New York and is granted educational leave with pay from the position held except in the instance of extreme hardship as determined by the Commissioner of Health;

(3) the individual is identified by Higher Education Services Corporation as having defaulted on the repayment of a guaranteed student loan; or

(4) the individual is not a resident of New York State and plans to attend or attends an educational institution located out of state.


VOLUME A-1 (Title 10)